Close this search box.
Close this search box.
An individual seated at a desk, carefully completing a tax form with a pen - Tax Reporting Forms.

Be On The Outlook For Tax Reporting Forms

Tax season can be daunting, especially for those unfamiliar with the various forms flying in. This year, don’t let the paperwork overwhelm you! Here’s a comprehensive guide to some of the most common tax forms you might encounter, along with helpful tips to navigate them smoothly.

Key Forms for Employed Individuals

  • Form W-2: This workhorse form reports your wages and withheld income taxes for the year. Keep a close eye on it, as discrepancies can impact your tax liability.
  • Form W-2G: Did you hit it big at the casino? If your gambling winnings exceed the IRS threshold, this form reports the amount.

Forms for Various Income Sources

  • Form 1099-G: This multi-purpose form covers various income types, including state income tax refunds (potentially taxable depending on your 2021 deductions), unemployment benefits, and government payments.
  • Form 1099-MISC: This form reports miscellaneous income like freelance work, prizes, and royalties. Remember, expenses related to this income might be deductible.
  • Form 1099-DIV: Owning dividend-paying stocks or mutual funds? This form details your taxable dividend income.
  • Form 1099-INT: Interest earned from bank accounts or other investments? This form reports the taxable amount. Keep in mind, you’re still obligated to report interest even if you don’t receive the form (e.g., below the $10 threshold).
  • Form 1099-B: Did you sell securities in 2022? This form summarizes your sales details. If you use a brokerage firm, you might receive a consolidated statement instead.
  • Form 1099-S: Selling your home this year? This form reports the sales price. Check your closing documents for a copy.

Forms for Social Security and Retirement

  • Form SSA-1099: This form details your Social Security benefits received, adjustments, and Medicare premiums withheld.
  • Form RRB-1099: The equivalent of SSA-1099 for railroad retirement benefits.
  • Form 1099-R: This form reports retirement plan distributions, including IRAs, and usually specifies the taxable amount.

Forms for Education and Healthcare

  • Form 1098-T: Claimed education credits? This form from your educational institution summarizes your tuition payments.
  • Form 1095-A: If you obtained health insurance through a government marketplace, this form helps reconcile your advance premium tax credit and reduce your 2022 premiums.

Forms for Self-Employed Individuals and Businesses

  • Form 1099-NEC: Businesses that paid you $600 or more (even if they weren’t obligated to) will issue this form. It reports income from your self-employed activities.
  • Form 1099-K: If your business accepts electronic payments, this form details your sales for the year. Even individuals receiving income through similar platforms might receive this form. Remember, not all income reported on 1099-K is taxable.

Schedule K-1

Partners in partnerships, shareholders in S-Corporations, or beneficiaries of trusts will receive this form with information needed for their personal tax returns. Schedule K-2 and K-3 might also be involved, but expect them later due to their dependency on entity tax returns.

Stay Ahead of the Curve

Taxes don’t have to be scary! Remember, the IRS gets copies of your income documents too, so double-check that your tax return matches everything to avoid any hiccups. Missing a form? Don’t worry! Just hop online to the payer’s website and grab it. You’re still responsible for reporting the income, even if the form gets lost.

Tax season might seem overwhelming, but with a little preparation and attention to detail, you can breeze through it like a pro. Need a hand or have questions? We’re here for you! Our team is ready to help make this tax season as smooth as possible.

By staying informed and being proactive, you can tackle taxes with confidence and ease. Here’s to a successful filing season and maximizing your returns for 2022!

JS Morlu LLC is a top-tier accounting firm based in Woodbridge, Virginia, with a team of highly experienced and qualified CPAs and business advisors. We are dedicated to providing comprehensive accounting, tax, and business advisory services to clients throughout the Washington, D.C. Metro Area and the surrounding regions. With over a decade of experience, we have cultivated a deep understanding of our clients’ needs and aspirations. We recognize that our clients seek more than just value-added accounting services; they seek a trusted partner who can guide them towards achieving their business goals and personal financial well-being.
Talk to us || What our clients says about us